Campbell Global Responsible Investment Policy
2017 QUICK FACTS
planted in 2017
million trees planted
since our founding
miles of protected water
quality on streams
with working forest
Campbell Global, LLC ("CG") is a timberland and natural resource investment manager with over thirty years' experience managing sustainable timberland assets on behalf of our investor clients. Environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and operating in a transparent manner are inherent to Campbell Global's core values.
Working forests are a long-term investment and sustainable long-term returns are underpinned by healthy ecosystems, thriving communities, and robust local economies. With responsible management, investments in timberland have a natural advantage in contributing to environmental, social and economic development. Active forest management provides living-wage jobs in rural sectors and a sustainable supply of forest products for many of our urban areas. And CG's efforts to support local communities help to define responsible management and maintain our social license.
As part of our commitment to being a responsible manager, CG became a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment Program ("the Principles") in 2016. Consistent with our fiduciary responsibilities to our clients, CG commits to the following UN PRI principles and will:
- Incorporate ESG factors into CG's investment analysis and decision making processes,
- Actively support the efforts of our clients to be active owners,
- Ensure appropriate disclosure on ESG issues to our clients, within our business, and in the communities and markets where we operate,
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the timberland investment and management industry,
- Work with our investors, our peers in the industry, and the broader investment community to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles and
- Report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
The existing integration of environmental, social and governance ("ESG") best practices into our business planning and strategies, policies, practices, reporting and disclosures serve the best interests of our client investment objectives and support the objectives of responsible environmental management. In addition to providing much needed forest products, well managed working forests provide clean water, fresh air, sequester carbon, and afford a variety of habitats for terrestrial and aquatic species. CG operations maintain regionally appropriate, third-party certification standards recognized by the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification. CG has direct experience with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® ("SFI"), Forest Stewardship Council® ("FSC"), and Responsible Wood®.
By properly evaluating ESG factors in our acquisition analysis and asset management, CG can better manage risks and opportunities, while enhancing long-term returns. Further, we believe that having a strong integration of ESG principles and practices enables CG to take advantage of attractive new timberland related investment opportunities, which are emerging from the expanding global sustainability economy.
Through incorporation of the Principles CG will:
- Engage with industry peers, clients and prospective clients, government and non-government agencies, and other thought leaders to promote acceptance and implementation of the ESG framework within the timberland investment industry.
- Incorporate ESG factors into investment decision making and ownership practices.
- Promote ESG responsibility along the value chain by encouraging contractors and customers to adopt ESG standards.
- Conduct regular evaluation of our ESG practices to ensure best implementation of ESG principles into our culture.
- Continuously improve our ESG performance using best management practices.
- Set measurable goals and report our progress to our clients, employees, the communities in which we operate, and the broader public.
CG's ESG Committee and Executive Team are responsible for overseeing and monitoring the implementation and integration of the ESG framework. CG's ESG Committee Charter is drafted to ensure ESG best practices are woven into the fabric of CG's business model. This integration of ESG best practices is essential for CG to meet our fiduciary responsibilities and benefit the physical and social environment in which we live.